The great economic and commercial activity that takes place in Mexico City marks a constant dynamism in the rent and occupation of spaces to work. It is important to clarify that, despite the coronavirus contingency, there has been no relevant damage to employment and investment indicators in the office market (1).
At the end of 1Q2020, the total corporate inventory in Mexico City is 10 million 173 thousand 820 m 2 , of which about one and a half million (13.8%) are still available (1).
Although it sounds like there are quite a few options, you must take into account the budget allocated and the desired location, in addition to considering the area you work for, to know which is the best area. For example, one of the major sectors for this year is electronic commerce , which is presenting high demand (2).
Offices for rent: objectives, characteristics and benefits
Office spaces allow you to carry out work tasks for projects, companies, businesses, institutions or startups .
Even in this era, where virtuality facilitates many processes (video calls, sending documents, project synchronization, remote work, e-government , electronic banking or home office ), the main objectives of the office continue to stand out for :
- Provide a safe and comfortable space, where activities are centralized around specific projects and objectives.
- Create identity and cohesion among collaborators, depending on the place where they meet and the dynamics that accompany them.
- Have a fixed place of customer service (direct and personalized communication), which gives an image of seriousness and trust.
- Make a physical presence in the area relevant to the project , in addition to creating alliances and contacts. Many times, depending on this and the budget, the rental area is chosen.
Depending on the sector in which you work you will need to have certain characteristics, such as specific equipment and furniture, but the basics in the offices include WiFi, telephone, workstations, water, electricity, gas (if it has a kitchen or dining room area), bathroom area and on some occasions, parking.
In certain cases, the supply of coffee, photocopies, international calls, soundproof area for video calls, reception staff, correspondence handling, administrative assistance, personalized space design, view with windows or more closed spaces may be available at an extra cost, meeting rooms, access to directory and industry events, business lounge , cleaning and maintenance, access to printers, scanner and photocopier, among other services (3).
If you are interested in the topic of industrial warehouses, you can find more information here:
“Industrial warehouses: characteristics, areas and recommendations”.
Classification of offices
There is an international categorization to divide offices and buildings, according to the characteristics they meet. This information will help you to know what type of site you require and what are the amenities it provides.
Class A offices for rent
Buildings and offices of this type have a maximum of 5 years of being built. Its materials and finishes are of high quality, comply with a modern architecture, as well as a privileged location and exclusivity.
They have a professional administration, with ventilation, lighting, access control services, parking lots, elevators, cafeteria, lobby and ATM (4).
Normally, these types of buildings are exclusive to a company or project of a single owner and are not rented to just anyone, to maintain control of the place. Monthly rental prices are usually higher than the average in the area (4).
Class B offices for rent
This classification It includes buildings that do not exceed 10 years of construction, relatively recent, but that do not occupy a location considered as privileged (although it has been before).
Their prices go with the average for the area, they have an average administration for the building, the condition of the place is very good, as well as its finishes (4).
In the case of parking, it is of good quality and maintains a certain order, but it is not enough for the growth of the companies or businesses that inhabit it. These buildings have security, lobby and standard requirements, but as there are more of this type, there is greater competition, and therefore, less availability (4).
Class C offices for rent
They have been built for more than 25 years (even 40), They are located in conglomerated or central areas that, although they can be very accessible to all public, have little exclusivity (4). This can be important depending on the type of customer you want to reach.
Its architecture and distribution is old. Sometimes it does not comply with current technological standards, nor does it have an efficient administration of the site.
Its price is below the commercial figures in the area. Parking is a problem, since being a very busy and inhabited area, there is no space to park the car or you have to do it in a place outside the office, which generates logistics problems and varied expenses (4) .
Finally, take into account that this division is made for practical purposes, because on many occasions in the same conglomerate or group of offices there are options of class A, B and C, with different functions, dynamics and employee profiles, so it is not possible to categorize so easily.
Office areas for rent CDMX
Only in the Lamudi portal appear more than 8 thousand offices available for rent in CDMX . The offer is concentrated in 10 municipalities and in more than 70 neighborhoods in Azcapotzalco, Gustavo A. Madero, Cuauhtémoc, Miguel Hidalgo, Iztapalapa, Coyoacán, Tlalpan, Álvaro Obregón, Cuajimalpa de Morelos and Benito Juárez (5).
Regarding the square meters under development, we found more than 500 thousand that are still under construction (1). Regarding the market statistics, there are five areas that stand out for their inventory: Insurgents , with more than 2 million 200 thousand square meters, Polanco with 1 million 749 thousand, Reform Y Santa Fe with areas of around one million 350 thousand, and the North Zone with more than 820 thousand square meters (1).
In these five areas, the general availability rate (for both class A, B and C buildings) is as follows: Norte (33.7%), Santa Fe (21%), Polanco (12.7%), Reforma (12.4%) and Insurgents (10%) (1). In that sense, We recommend that you evaluate the different availability options to take stock between the benefit of locating yourself in the area you want and paying the rent.
If what you are interested in is renting in industrial and commercial areas in the north (Vallejo), downtown (such as the Juárez neighborhood) or west (Polanco), you will find Vallejo Properties options available to you. Contact us for more details.
North offices for rent
One of the most important industrial zones in Mexico City is Vallejo. In this area we find 11 offices for rent , at least in the part corresponding to the Gustavo A. Madero mayor’s office, with a variation in the cost per square meter that gives a monthly rent price approximate of 14 thousand 500 pesos (6).
At Vallejo Properties we have 5 office complexes : Ceva, Corona, Malta, Hobanet and Stanhome. Review our locations in detail.
Offices for rent Centro
It goes without saying that this location is privileged as it is in an area with a lot of commercial and entertainment activity, with important connections to various roads. The rental trend in this area gives the average figure of 35 thousand pesos a month for the payment of rent, with an approximate of 349 pesos per square meter. In the Lamudi portal appear 575 offices available for rent in the area (7).
At Vallejo Properties we have two locations in this area: River Lerma and Nice. See more details about these communities.
Offices for rent Poniente
This area is one of the most coveted at the level of residential and commercial income, due to the level of privilege it has. Currently, in this area the price per square meter is 421 pesos, with average rents of 55,500 per month (8). In the Lamudi portal we find 864 offices for rent (8).
At Vallejo Properties we also have an office complex located in Horacio. If you want to know more about this building, check our portal .
If you want to know more about the rent of commercial premises, we suggest you review this text:
“Rent of commercial premises in CDMX: costs and benefits” .
CDMX office rental prices
In some spaces, the rent charge may vary by day, week, month or year (3). It is very important that you take this point into account to do the necessary calculations with the minimum rental time requested .
It is also common that in some offices they ask you to give notice of the cancellation of your contract with a certain time in advance to avoid monetary penalties. Remember that these types of provisions must be stipulated in the contract.
For 1Q2020, the general monthly rental price per m2 in the CDMX was located at 21.85 dollars (485 MXN) and 23.03 dollars for Class A corporations (511 MXN) (1).
Although it is very important to consider where you want to locate and the availability of the area, keep in mind that It is suggested to allocate, at most, 40% of the income of your company or project to the payment of the rent of offices (9).
Recommendations for office rental
In all cases, the rental or purchase of an asset must be done with enough time to plan and make all the necessary preparations. In the case of an office, it is important to find a suitable and equipped place for your business or project. That is why we give you the following basic recommendations when choosing the place (8):
- Location . This point is strategic, especially because it must be close to the public you want to connect with, the industrial or commercial area in which you want to locate yourself, or with the collaborators who will be working in the company. In addition, you should take into account that access by public transport and the connection with main avenues allow you to easily get to and from the area. It is also important to be close to eating places, coffee shops, stores or shopping centers. Remember to check that the office is accredited and has all the permits, so you don’t have any problems. If you have any questions about it, Get in contact with us .
- Installations . A very important part is knowing what you need for your office: what type of spaces, amenities, minimum or additional services, depending on the line of business and the activities you have to carry out. For example, the basic thing is to have electricity, internet, water, telephone, air conditioning, parking and security, as well as spaces for meetings or meetings. You also have to verify the age and conditions of the site to check its real status. Take into account that if you are hoping to expand in the short or medium term, you may need a place where it is possible to expand in meters.
- cost . Depending on the location and type of facilities you require, the rental price could rise. Consider the area in which you want to locate to evaluate the average price per square meter, since that is an important reference for your budget or that of the company. It also verifies in the contract all the specifications that are included so as not to obviate or incur an error with the amenities or characteristics of the place.
- Contract . As in all residential, commercial or industrial rental or sale cases, we always recommend that all clauses are in writing and are clear enough for both parties. Keep your copy in a safe place and close at hand. Remember that if there are damages to the site, this must be marked in the contract with photographic or video evidence, so that both parties are aware of the reception status of the place. If the office is furnished, we recommend that the furniture is indicated, with text and photos, in the contract, to differentiate it from the one you will bring.
- Move . On many occasions, this expense is not previously considered until you are about to occupy the place. For that reason we recommend you integrate this point from now on, to know the costs of transferring your furniture, equipment or tools, whether you have it in a cellar , as if it is in another office or you are just going to buy it (take measurements regarding space and color harmony). If you get a furnished place, it will allow you to save costs, but you will have to verify if it suits the style of your business or the image you want to convey.
If you are interested in knowing about warehouses for rent, we suggest you read:
“Warehouses for rent in CDMX: characteristics and recommendations.”
The physical offices continue to play a very important role in the establishment or expansion of a company, since They allow you to link business opportunities, image, context, security and space for your collaborators and clients. In Vallejo Properties We want to accompany you to take that step and follow the route of commercial expansion that you require.
It also takes into account new digital routes to grow in your industrial or corporate sector . This can be done by creating a digital strategy from the hand of a digital marketing agency specialized in your field.
In addition, it considers that after the return to the new normal, There will be several changes in the work dynamics: you will have to look for smaller and more flexible offices to employ your work team, in a kind of coexistence with the home office, according to your new needs and official provisions. So, get in touch with us and we will find the ideal office for your business.
- Fernanda Hernández. Office market in CDMX closes 1Q2020 with -9,532 m 2 . Urban Center, 2020. Retrieved May 26, 2020.
- Real Estate Press. Mexico: What will the 2020 office market look like? Real Estate Press, 2020. Retrieved May 26, 2020.
- Regus. Offices for rent. Regus, s / f. Retrieved May 27, 2020.
- Carlos Arcos. Do you know the classification of offices and buildings? Your Real Estate in Veracruz, 2016. Retrieved May 27, 2020.
- Lamudi. Offices for rent in Distrito Federal. Lamudi, s / f. Retrieved May 27, 2020.
- Lamudi. Offices for rent in Vallejo. Lamudi, s / f. Retrieved May 28, 2020.
- Lamudi. Offices for rent in Juárez. Lamudi, s / f. Retrieved May 28, 2020.
- Lamudi. Offices for rent in Polanco. Lamudi, s / f. Retrieved May 28, 2020.
- High level. These 7 neighborhoods have the cheapest offices in CDMX. High Level, 2017. Retrieved May 28, 2020.