The construction of industrial buildings had a growth of 3.39% in Mexico during the year 2019. The most important national markets in that period were concentrated in Mexico City, Tijuana and Monterrey. In general, this sector was one of the most dynamic in the construction industry in the country (1).
In Mexico there were about 22.3 million
of square meters of Net Profitable Area (1).
In particular, Mexico City is the one with the largest footage in this type of project , with 544 thousand 513 m2 distributed in 22 new industrial buildings. With this figure, the CDMX reaches, in this area, a total of almost 13 million square meters.
This type of construction has great thrust in the most important cities of the country, as it is part of the economic activity of both property rental and the setting up of businesses and various industries in these spaces.
What is an industrial warehouse
The industrial warehouse is the general accommodation of all the assets of a company, which includes offices, a warehouse for machinery, a production area, an area for workers, and storage of products or raw materials.
Industrial buildings can be built prior to the installation of the business or result from an investment for a specific business line . In the second case, the investment allows to start construction with technical specifications on the machinery and operations to be carried out at that site, taking into account the safety and civil protection regulations in this regard.
If what interests you is commercial premises, we recommend you read our article:
“Rent of commercial premises in CDMX: costs and benefits”.
Types of industrial building
At this point it is very important that you take into account the type of business you want to set up in an industrial warehouse . This choice could be a bit more complex than that of warehouses for rent because you must consider the need to have spaces not only for storage, but for the production and operation of your business (2).
In this sense we can identify two classifications of industrial buildings: one, by type of material, and two, by the production sector.
By type of material in the construction of the industrial warehouse
It is important to consider this category because it allows you to know the structural objectives for which the ship is designed and to what extent that enables and strengthens your business, depending on the line of business you have.
Industrial warehouse with steel structure
Buildings made with this material tend to develop a very strong base in the structure, and are characterized by not having pillars within the place, which allows a continuous distribution of furniture, inventory and machinery (2). This type of cellar it offers plenty of room for accommodation and visibility of the entire ship.
One of its advantages is the lightness of its construction, due to the type of material. This is used in buildings whose forecast points to growth or where, at least, large load changes will be made, in addition to having free spaces (2). It is not recommended in marine atmospheres or laboratories with chemical handling (2).
Precast concrete industrial warehouse
The construction of this type of ship is done in advance . The material allows to create great resistance to fires, so if your product is flammable you can consider this type of industrial warehouse as an option, but do not forget to rely on strict safety guidelines and measures.
You should also take into account that this type of construction is very heavy, so it is not possible to lift it very high, so its vertical growth will be limited and, if they are between large buildings, it will be difficult for natural light to enter (2).
On-site concrete industrial warehouse
This type of ship differs from the previous one because the construction mode is different, since all the kneading, pouring, setting and curing processes are carried out in the same place . In this sense, there is more freedom to prepare the building, as it is no longer governed by precast blocks (2), which may or may not meet your guidelines.
For this type of ship it is important to have specialized advice in the creation of the construction model so that it is functional and aesthetic at the same time.
Mixed industrial warehouse
This guy, as the name implies, combines characteristics of concrete and steel, therefore it gives advantages of each of the construction materials. This type of warehouse improves the performance of the structure by creating different dimensions and divisions within the same space, so if your business needs more resistance or spaciousness, you can have it without being forced to decide on one or the other (2).
As you see, The type of material is essential when deciding, as it is not just about aesthetics or a technical curiosity, but about functionality that each one grants.
By type of production in the industrial warehouse
There are four categories that classify as part of the catalog of industrial investments, where the production objective of the industrial building, that is, what was it made for.
Industrial warehouse of pure production
This ship is dedicated to take inputs to transform them into a finished product . They normally occupy large tracts of land (on average, 400 hectares), due to the intricacy of the process they carry out. Companies with this type of ship are usually large for their respective industries, such as Toyota or Purina (3).
Industrial manufacturing warehouse
This type is one of the most important due to the economic significance that its operation implies. They are suppliers of production plants because they are dedicated to creating pieces and parts for a wide range of industries. They occupy spaces of between 15,000 and 20,000 square meters, and require more personnel to run the production chain. An example would be the warehouses where parts for automobiles are manufactured; a very active sector (3).
Maquiladora industrial warehouse
This space stands out for carrying out simple processes or product treatment. The central thing in this ship are the people who work in the elaboration of these articles (3). Large spaces and lots of lighting are needed for this type of warehouse because the work requires, on many occasions, constant detail and production.
Mixed industrial warehouse
This joint ship research, production and office work. Sizes of this type are usually smaller than the rest (from 2,000 to 3,000 square meters), despite integrating several functions (3). They require other types of sections, such as parking lots, because they tend to receive more people on the ship, both employees and customers.
Difference with industrial warehouses
Although very often both terms are used synonymously, in reality, the industrial warehouse is an area that is part of the industrial warehouse, and in turn, several industrial warehouses make up an industrial park .
It is important to clarify this difference, especially so that you can define what you need in each case, in order to rent a space according to your needs: if these are storage, you can choose an industrial warehouse, or even simply one cellar , but if you require a comprehensive space for production, offices, administration and operation, the industrial warehouse is your option.
If what you need is to know more about industrial warehouses for rent, check out our article: “Industrial warehouses: characteristics, areas and recommendations”.
Construction process of an industrial warehouse
It is important to consider the building process, as it is essential to guarantee the safety and structural quality of your business. In general, regardless of the material, it is carried out as follows (4) (5):
- Clearing the site. Basically it is about conditioning the land through examining the nature and possibilities of the soil, in a specialized study on the characteristics of the place.
- Foundation . This step depends on the type of warehouse to be built, since these foundations will carry the entire weight of the structure, through the footings and braces. Concrete or concrete and steel can be placed on this base to achieve more solidity.
- Structure . In this part, steel beams are used to form the “skeleton” of the construction. It also depends on the type of surface and how it will be used to create specific construction profiles (depending on the type of ship, the length and the weight to be loaded).
- Enclosure . In this phase the walls are placed, which can be concrete, corrugated sheets or panels, as required. The spaces for accesses and windows should also be left.
- Cover . The coverage can be done in several ways: with simple metal cover, panel, in situ or deck type (includes sheet metal, insulation and sheet). The thickness of the cover will depend on the purpose of the cover.
Industrial warehouse rental areas
In the Lamudi portal we find 1065 properties classified as industrial warehouses in the CDMX, concentrated in 75 neighborhoods of 10 municipalities : Azcapotzalco, Gustavo A. Madero, Benito Juárez, Cuajimalpa de Morelos, Cuauhtémoc, Miguel Hidalgo, Tlalpan, Coyoacán, Iztapalapa and Álvaro Obregón (6).
The CDMX industrial zone belongs to the distribution sector in industrial parks, which include warehouses, for companies such as Amazon, Mercado Libre, Walmart, among others (3)
It is also important to consider the nine industrial corridors of the CDMX and the Metropolitan Area (7):
- Teoloyucan-Zumpango-Huehuetoca-Tepeji del Río-Atitalaquia.
We will highlight two important corridors for industrial activity: Vallejo and Tultitlán. Vallejo for being one of the most important industrial zones in the City and Tultitlán for its location in the State of Mexico, in a relevant industrialization zone.
Price of industrial buildings for rent
In the Industrial Vallejo area we find that the average monthly rent is 28,300 pesos (8), while in Vallejo, on the side of Gustavo A. Madero, it is approximately 19,500 (9).
The price per square meter is approximately 129 pesos in the Vallejo Industrial area (8), depending on the characteristics of the place
In Tultitlán, the price is around 40 to 120 pesos per square meter , depending on the specific area or the type of industrial warehouse you choose. In Vallejo Properties We have four properties: three in Vallejo and one in Tultitlán.
In Vallejo there are the Audi, Endera and Stanhome complexes. In Tultitlán we have the Holophane plant. These buildings have their own characteristics of warehouses and industrial buildings: loading and unloading ramps, platforms for units, controlled accesses, closed security circuits, spaces for maneuvers, without columns and good heights for stowage, 24/7 security, parking, offices , bathrooms, dining area, guardhouse, among other features.
If you want to know more details and quote with us, contact us and we will advise you to adapt the space to your needs.
If what interests you are offices for rent, we suggest you read:
“ Offices for rent in CDMX: guide and recommendations ”.
Tips for the use of industrial buildings
It is very important that you consider the industrial warehouse as a work area where safety must prevail. It is advisable to automate, electrify and sophisticate the equipment and work dynamics to reduce the level of risk for workers and equipment. At Vallejo Properties we care about your safety, so if you have any questions, you can contact us .
As you know, in industrial incidents there are four elements involved , depending on the type of business that your business has (10):
- Physical and environmental . Like noise, vibration, speed, pressure and radiation.
- Chemical . Handling explosive, flammable, toxic or corrosive materials.
- Biological . Treatment of drugs, garbage, poison and bacteria.
- Psychological / Human : health condition, attention, training, age and fatigue.
In all these factors it is necessary to pay attention to reduce the danger in the treatment of materials, products or services of your business, in an industrial warehouse. There are five fundamental points that you must take into account to prevent these situations (10):
- Training . This is essential, especially because responsible prevention starts here. You must use all the tools and technologies necessary to encourage good practices: the correct handling of products and equipment, the dissemination of production instructions, safety rules and preventive measures; and the preparation of safe habits, such as avoiding that people have too long shifts, that they occupy outdated machinery or that they do not have the necessary equipment to treat the products.
- Road safety. It is necessary to have a prevention plan in the use of heavy machinery to create a safe work environment. Loading work is one of the most important activities carried out in the industrial warehouse, but also the one where accidents occur the most, so it is necessary to have well-marked areas for road and pedestrian access, in addition to clearly indicating restriction areas within the ship.
- Industrial security with software. In almost all cases, it is not enough to have the latest technology to carry out certain operations or control activities through software, such as applications, so it is important that they are configured and operated correctly by specialists to avoid mistakes and accidents. It is also important to consider digital strategies inside and outside your business to boost its commercial growth. We recommend consulting with a digital marketing agency specialized in the sector.
- Security in the industrial warehouse. In general, it is very important to spread a safety culture through good practices in each of the activities carried out. There must be organization, control, vigilance and tranquility to correctly operate the technology, under the precise indications. In addition, we suggest you have insurance that respond to accidents to cover personnel and machinery, that is, that are physical and patrimonial coverage, since this type of backup also helps to make the area a functional zone.
- Measures against fire or natural phenomena. Specifically, it is important to have protection and insurance guidelines that support your business, due to events that could affect the facilities where your work team is concentrated.
Consider that there are penalties for those who do not comply correctly with the security environment which requires such a construction and operation. Therefore, you must have everything in order, both for the safety of your workers, and to safeguard your finances.
Figures to recap
Without a doubt, industrial buildings are a great reference point to invest in. The downtown area is one of the most important , where CDMX, Toluca (State of Mexico), Puebla and Tlaxcala stand out with mixed assets, distribution, pure production plants and manufacturing, that add up to a total of 13.9 million square meters, representing 19.4% at the national level (3).
The rental cost in this area is 6.4 dollars per square meter, that is, 138 Mexican pesos. Although it has a low unemployment rate of 3.5%, which makes the market more competitive, annual growth points to 6.2% (3). Undoubtedly, this is a great opportunity, that is why you count on Vallejo Properties to invest in the present of your business. Let’s find your ideal space.
- Fernando Navarrete. Construction of industrial buildings in Mexico grows 3%. Urban Center, 2020. Retrieved June 4, 2020.
- Flexpark. Types of industrial buildings. Flexpark, 2018. Retrieved June 4, 2020.
- Arturo Vallejo. Guide to investing in industrial real estate. Expansion, 2019. Retrieved June 5, 2020.
- ACH. The process of building an industrial warehouse, step by step. ACH Blog, 2017. Retrieved June 5, 2020.
- Meprosa. What they should know about industrial buildings and their construction. Meprosa, 2018. Retrieved June 4, 2020.
- Lamudi. Industrial building in Distrito Federal. Lamudi, s / f. Retrieved June 4, 2020.
- Urban center. Class A industrial buildings increase in Mexico City. Urban Center, 2014. Retrieved June 5, 2020.
- Lamudi. Industrial building in Industrial Vallejo. Lamudi, s / f. Retrieved June 4, 2020.
- Lamudi. Industrial building in Vallejo. Lamudi, s / f. Retrieved June 4, 2020.
- Flexpark. Industrial buildings: 5 tips to prevent accidents. Flexpark, 2018. Retrieved June 5, 2020.